Jump to navigation Jump to search “SYP” redirects here. Before 1947, العملات الأجنبية word qirsh was spelled with the initial Arabic letter غ, after which the word began with ق.
Until 1958, banknotes were issued with Arabic on the obverse and French on the reverse. After 1958, English has been used on the reverses, hence the three different names for this currency. Coins used both Arabic and French until independence, then only Arabic. The standard abbreviation for the Syrian pound is SYP.
On 5 December 2005, the selling rate quoted by the Commercial Bank of Syria was 48. 4 SYP to the US dollar. A rate of about 50 pounds to one dollar has been usual in the early 2000s, but the exchange rate is subject to fluctuations. This article needs additional citations for verification. During the period when Syria was a part of the Ottoman Empire, which lasted about 400 years, the Ottoman lira was its main currency.
1919 and was pegged at a value of 20 French francs. In 1941, the peg to the French franc was replaced by a peg to the British pound of 8. 1 British pound, as a consequence of the occupation of Syria by British and Free French forces. This rate was based on the pre-war conversion rate between the franc and sterling.
As a result of the Syrian Civil War, there has been a capital flight to nearby countries including Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Turkey. 1926 by aluminium bronze 2 and 5 qirsh. In 1929, holed, nickel-brass 1 qirsh and silver 10, 25 and 50 qirsha were introduced. These pieces were crudely produced and undated. 5 and 10 qirush struck in cupro-nickel and the others in silver.
Aluminium-bronze replaced cupro-nickel in 1960, with nickel replacing silver in 1968. In 1996, following high inflation, new coins were introduced in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10 and 25 pounds, with the 25 pounds a bimetallic coin. In 2003 5, 10, and 25 pound coins were issued, with latent images. In 1919, the Banque de Syrie introduced notes for 5, 25 and 50 qirsha, 1 and 5 livres.
These were followed, in 1920, by notes for 1 qirsh and 10, 25, 50 and 100 livres. In 1925, the Banque de Syrie et du Grand-Liban began issuing notes and production of denominations below 25 qirsha ceased. Notes below 1 livre were not issued from 1930. In 1939, the issuing body again changed its name, to the Banque de Syrie et du Liban. Between 1942 and 1944, the government introduced notes for 5, 10, 25 and 50 qirsha. In the early 1950s, undated notes were issued by the Institut d’Emission de Syrie in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 livres, followed by notes dated 1955 for 10 and 25 livres. The Banque Centrale de Syrie took over paper money issuance in 1957, issuing the same denominations as the Institut d’Emission.
In 1958, the French language was removed from banknotes and replaced by English. Notes were issued for 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 and 500 pounds. In 1966, the design of the 25, 50, and 100 pound notes was changed. In 1976 and 1977, the designs changed for all the denominations except the 500-pound note. In 1997 and 1998, a new series of notes was introduced in denominations of 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 pounds, with the lower denominations replaced by coins.
Arabic obverse: Citadel of Aleppo and the Norias of Hama. English reverse: al-Assad National Library and the Abbasiyyin Stadium. Arabic obverse: Philip the Arab and the Roman theatre of Bosra. English reverse: The Hejaz Train Station of Damascus. Arabic obverse: Zenobia and the columns of Palmyra. Arabic obverse: former president Hafez al-Assad and the Umayyad Mosque. English reverse: Oil industry of Syria, combine harvester, ship.